Fat Trimmings from Meat – Never give these to your dog. Eating these can lead to pancreatitis, an inflammation and swelling of the pancreas. Symptoms include vomiting, weight loss, loss of appetite, and diarrhea. Severe pancreatitis can lead to hospitalization for the treatment of dehydration and shock.
Grapes/Raisins – Even in small amounts, grapes, grape juice, and raisins can lead to kidney failure in cats and dogs.
Onions, Garlic, Leeks and Chives – When eaten by your pet these toxic items cause a severe upset stomach and anemia.
Alcohol—Symptoms of alcohol poisoning in cats and dogs are similar to those in humans. However, because cats and dogs are generally much smaller than their human counterparts, even small amounts of alcohol can be very dangerous. Ingestion of alcohol can lead to lowered blood pressure and body temperature, vomiting, dehydration, tremors, and death.
Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts – Very harmful to dogs, these nuts can cause drowsiness, sluggishness, vomiting, and difficulty walking.
Bread Dough – Unbaked bread dough can expand in the stomach of your cat or dog causing the stomach to twist and even cut off blood flow. The yeast contained within the dough can produce alcohol which causes seizures and respiratory failure in cats and dogs.
Milk – Although cats love milk, the fact is that most cats are lactose intolerant. Giving your cat milk can cause cramping of the stomach, as well as gas and diarrhea.
Ice Melt – Although handy for melting ice on stairs, sidewalks, and porches, Ice Melt and similar products contain toxic chemicals. When your pet ventures outdoors, the crystals in the melt can become stuck in his or her paws. When your dog or cat cleans his or her paws, the chemicals are ingested. Ingesting Ice Melt can cause skin irritation, seizures, and can be fatal.
Ethylene Glycol – Found in many products such as anti-freeze and motor oil, this chemical has a sweet taste that is often enticing for cats and dogs. However, just a teaspoon of ethylene glycol is enough to cause kidney failure.
Lilies, Poinsettias, Daffodils and Azaleas – These flowers can cause kidney failure and heart rhythm problems in cats and dogs that may lead to death.
Mushrooms – Mushrooms contain toxins that can cause shock and affect multiple systems in the bodies of cats and dogs and may be fatal in some cases.
Chocolate – Consumption of chocolate by your pet can lead to fatal seizures. Dark and unsweetened chocolate (such as baker’s chocolate) is more toxic than white or milk chocolate.
Caffeine – Harmful to both dogs and cats, caffeine can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, coma, and can be deadly depending upon the amount consumed.
Chewing Gum, Breath Mints and Toothpaste – All of these items contain a sugar-free sweetener called Xylitol. If ingested by your pet, Xylitol can cause a dangerous drop in your pet’s blood sugar levels and cause liver failure.
Detergents/Household Cleaners – Items such as these can cause ulcers in the mouth, throat, and stomach of your cat or dog, and can be deadly.
Acetaminophen/Ibuprofen – These can cause severe anemia and ulcers, as well as liver and kidney failure in your pet. In fact, just one tablet ingested by a 10-pound cat can be fatal.
Coins – Coins containing zinc, such as pennies, are especially hazardous to both cats and dogs. Ingesting coins containing zinc leads to zinc toxicity which can cause anemia, liver, heart, and kidney failure. A single penny can be fatal.
Batteries – These are toxic to both dogs and cats. Ingesting a battery can lead to the development of ulcers in your pet’s mouth, throat, and stomach.
Tobacco – Harmful to cats and dogs, the ingestion of nicotine in tobacco from cigarettes, patches, or chewing tobacco causes vomiting, tremors, and death.
If you suspect your pet has ingested any of these, call us immediately. Do not wait to see if symptoms appear, because in some cases of poisoning, by the time the symptoms appear it is too late to save the animal.