Mouse, rat, and gopher poisons are designed to attract small mammals, and unfortunately, your pets may also find them irresistible. If your pet ingests even a small quantity of a rodenticide, they can experience internal bleeding, brain swelling, kidney failure, seizures, and death. If you utilize poison to control pests in or around your home, always save the packaging of the product you’re using. Knowing the type and concentration of ingredients in a product can be lifesaving if your pet ever ingests the poison. Not all rodent poisons affect pets in the same way and treatment must be tailored according to the type of poisoning. If there’s a possibility that your dog or cat has eaten any amount of rodenticide, do not wait to seek treatment. Certain rodenticides won’t cause obvious symptoms for several days, after which point it may be too late for effective treatment. If your pet eats rodent poison containing phosphides (usually in gopher or mole poison), do not let them eat or drink and get them to a veterinarian immediately. Phosphides create phosphine gas in the stomach which is toxic to both pets and humans. If your pet vomits in the car on the way to the vet, roll down the windows to make sure you do not inhale the phosphine gas. If you suspect your pet has ingested rodent poison of any kind, call your veterinarian and seek treatment immediately.