Candy: Most pet owners know that chocolate can be dangerous for pets, but many don’t realize that other kinds of candy can cause serious problems too! One lesser-known threat is that of sugar-free candy. Xylitol, a commonly used artificial sweetener, can be fatal, even in small doses. Of course, traditional candy can cause illness too. Ingesting too much sugar or fat at once can lead to pancreatitis, which can be extremely painful and potentially fatal. Symptoms may not appear for several days after ingestion of the offending substance, so make sure to keep all varieties of sweet treats out of reach! If you suspect your pet may have ingested candy, please call your veterinarian immediately.
Fear and confusion: While humans can understand and enjoy the fun of a phony but frightful costume or prank, our pets can’t. It’s a good idea to keep your pets indoors and away from any potentially startling situations. What might seem like harmless fun to us can frighten an animal to the point of aggression or an attempt to flee. If your pet will be spending time in the yard on Halloween, make sure they are wearing a collar with up to date identification and contact information in the event that they should be frightened and escape.